Some typical applications for flange spreaders are; pipe and flange repair, removing elbows, coupler/gasket/metal seal replacement and heavy equipment maintenance.
With your hydraulic spreader you will require; a hose, manifold, safety blocks, split flow manifold, pressure gauge and a hand (or air) operated pump.
Flange spreading is a specialist skill, so should only be carried out by trained personnel.
How to use hydraulic flange spreaders
- Make sure you are wearing the correct PPE.
- Make sure you check all of your parts are in a safe working condition before connecting them.
- Connect hydraulic hose to the flange spreaders.
- Connect hydraulic hose to split-flow manifold.
- Connect hydraulic hose to your choice of pump (hand or air).
- Pressure test before operating.
- Position your flange spreaders.
- Use your pump to build up pressure.
- Make sure you engage fully to the heel of the step on the wedge head to ensure grip.
- Place safety block into space created by flange spreader.
- Release pressure and remove flange spreader, leaving behind your safety block.
If you still have any questions about using your flange spreader, TJI Solutions is your one stop shop for all your requirements covering all industries and applications. Please get in touch today and we will be happy to answer any of your questions.
The FLS15, and FLS15-ST SPX Bolting Hydraulic Flange Spreader unit is ideal for pipe and flange repair. It can also be used for removing elbows, gasket and metal seal replacement on couplers, heavy equipment maintenance, and many other tasks. The spreader can develop up to 15 metric tons of force, is lightweight, and is easy to use due to its ergonomic design.
Hydraulic Flange Spreader Features & Benefits:
- 15 metric ton (33,000 pounds) wedge-driven spreader
- Jaws fully supported by wedge for excellent durability
- Low friction provided by the heavy-duty extended-life lubricant
- Ideal for flanges with narrow gaps – only 5 mm (0.2 inches) required for entry
- Very high strength due to special alloy used
- Compact and lightweight design – only 287 mm (11.28 inches) long at a weight of 3.2 kg (7 pounds)
- Easy to use – ergonomically balanced handle (optional)
- Suitable for the offshore environment due to superior corrosion resistance
- Quick adjustments for various tasks due to interchangeable shoes (both stepped and serrated)
- Easy and quick maintenance – Only T40 Torx tool required
- Includes female half coupler – mates to standard 3/8″ male half coupler (No. 9798)
- Both serrated- and stepped-shoe versions are available
This hydraulic spreader operates using the integrated wedge concept. It is ideal for creating space for flange surface cleaning and repair, and for gasket replacement. The spreader is single-acting, and should be used with a hydraulic pump capable of holding pressure. Maximum operating pressure is 10,000 psi (700 bar).
Maximum 33,000 pounds (15 metric tons) per tool at 10,000 psi (700 bar). It is recommended that the tools be used in pairs, providing a maximum combined force of 66,000 pounds (30 metric tons).
Recommended SPX Equipment to go with this flange spreader
(U.S.A. & Asia)
|Two Speed, Single-Acting Hand Pump||P19L||P19L|
|Hydraulic Hose Assembly||9764||9764E|
(Primary Units = psi)
(Primary Units = bar)
|Gauge Adapter – Tee Adapter||9670||9670|
|Coupler (Male Half Coupler)||9798||9798|
|Manifold Block with Needle Valves||9642||9642|
|Female Half Coupler||9796||9796|
|Male Connector, 3/8||9682||9682|
|Note: Torque wrench tools use smaller couplers.|
Do not attempt to use torque wrench hoses with this tool.
TJI Solutions – Torquing Your Language!!
Scotland: 01224 063 680
England & Wales: 0191 917 0576